In honor of the start of another weekend, here is a look inside on of our favorite weekend getaway hotels, the Wit by Doubletree in downtown Chicago.
The Wit hotel is building with the yellow arrow in the upper left-hand corner of the photo above. We love the hotel’s convenient location on Chicago’s State Street, just north of the Chicago Theater and Macy’s.
To get to the hotel, we fly into Chicago’s Midway airport, take the ‘L’ Orange Line train to the State/Lake stop, exit the train and take the steps down, and we are at the Wit, a Doubletree by Hilton property.
Here’s a look inside.
One of the draws to this hotel is the rooftop bar scene at ROOF. Wisely, the hotel has good security and uses separate elevators for non-hotel guests, and designates one express elevator for hotel guests wanting in on the nightclub scene.
On the first floor, you will find the State and Lake Chicago Tavern, where breakfast coupons are offered for Hilton Honors Diamond members. The restaurant serves a mean cup of coffee along with an eclectic breakfast menu ranging from green smoothies to chicken and waffles.
Our bottom line on the Wit hotel in Chicago:
- We love the location, convenient for visiting all of Chicago’s inner loop, River North, and Michigan Avenue attractions.
- Great access to the Orange Line, and just a few blocks walk to the Blue Line train to O’Hara. (Or you can take the Orange Line to a transfer station a few stops away.)
- Fun, funky and comfortable rooms.
- The hotel can get overrun with hipster party-types, but security does a good job of keeping them directed to the ROOF.
- The Wit is a Hilton HHonors Reward Category 8 hotel.
- When staying in downtown Chicago, we love the Conrad, the Palmer House Hilton as well as this hotel, but the Wit is the most convenient location for our stays.
What’s your favorite Chicago hotel? Please share in comments below.
Check out these other posts on recent hotel stays:
- A Peek Inside the Ghent Marriott Hotel in Belgium
- A Return Visit to the Conrad Centennial Hotel in Singapore
- A Look Inside the Milan Hilton Hotel
- A Look Inside the Hilton Panama Hotel
- Views from the Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge in Alaska
- A Peek Inside the Hilton Antwerp Old Town Hotel
- A Look Inside the JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square Hotel
See more hotels that we’ve stayed in via our Hotel board on Pinterest.