While some of you have been reading this blog since 2007, many of you are fairly new readers who may be looking for some specific travel information.
To help you better find what you are looking for among the more than 400 posts, we’ve developed this Quick Start Guide to Traveling With the Jones.
We travel for work — enough to qualify as road warriors — and we make the most of frequent flier miles and hotel points to see the world when we can fit in a quick break. We also spend a significant portion of our disposable income on travel, and make the most of credit cards that reward us with points and miles. We minimize security lines and hassles by being approved for Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check.
Although we currently live in Kansas City, Missouri –thousands of miles from an ocean — we love exploring the world from a cruise ship. These are some of our most popular posts on cruise tips:
- Going on a cruise? 4 things to pack for a better cruise
- Do I need a passport to go on a cruise?
- How to Get an Onboard Credit For Every Cruise You Take
- 11 Out-of-the-Way Places Best Explored From a Cruise Ship
For more cruise tips, check out Planning a Cruise? 12 Helpful Tips.
Jeff, frequently referred to as Mr. Jones in blog posts, was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska, and is one of the state’s biggest fans. We visit Alaska several times a year. Our most-read posts on Alaska include:
- Visiting Alaska? 22 Fun Facts You Might Want to Know
- Visiting Anchorage? 12 Tips from Local Residents
- Visiting Alaska This Summer? 10 Tips on What to Pack
- Visiting Alaska? 5 Books to Read
To find more posts on Alaska from Glacier Bay to Homer, check out Planning to Visit Alaska? 23 Insights to Help You Have a Better Trip
Destination Discoveries highlight places that we’ve found unique — both close to home and around the world.
- Destination Discovery: The Swarovski Crystal Worlds, Wattens, Austria
- Destination Discovery: Marina Bay Sands Sky Park, Singapore
- Destination Discovery: The “Blue Eye” and Sarandë (Saranda), Albania
- Destination Discovery: Peanuts on Parade, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Destination Discovery: Bolzano/Bozen, Italy
Find discoveries posts detailed by destination in A World of Destination Discoveries.
Like many of our readers, we enjoy exploring local food and wine when we travel.
Here’s a sampling of our popular food posts:
- Anthony Bourdain Knows What He’s Talking About: Unbelievably Good Food at the Singapore Grand Hyatt Hotel
- Another good reason to visit New Orleans: The New Orleans School of Cooking
- An Evening at Le Cirque onboard the Veendam
- Exploring New York City — Eataly
- Enjoying Modern German Food at Affäre in Kansas City’s Crossroads
- Outrageously Delicious Italian Food in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- 5 Delicious Places to Eat and Drink in Homer, Alaska
We became wine fans when we lived in San Francisco and got married in Sonoma County. Places that have the climate for growing good wine grapes are destinations we enjoy visiting. Here’s some of our most popular wine posts:
- The World’s Oldest Grape Vine in Maribor, Slovenia
- A Perfect Lunch in Sonoma Wine Country
- House of Morandé, Casablanca Valley, Chile
- Mission Hill Family Estate
- Dundee Hills AVA, Oregon
- Visiting Napa Valley? 9 Wineries to Try
- Swan Valley Wine Tour from Fremantle, Australia
Learn more about some of our favorite wine destinations in Enjoying Wine Round the World.
If you enjoy geography-related trivia, check out these Fun Facts posts:
- 14 Fun Facts to Know About Rotorua, New Zealand
- 12 Fun Facts You May Not Know About the Great Wall of China
- 15 Fun Facts about Cornwall, England
- 26 Fun Facts to Know About Hawaii
- Visiting Alaska? 22 Fun Facts You Might Want to Know
We like to hear about other travelers’ discoveries and experiences as much as we like making our own, so we started ”Travel Chat” interviews with other travelers and with travel insiders. Some examples include:
- “When I travel, my camera is with me all day.” A Travel Chat with an Art Photographer.
- “Traveling is not just about going places, but experiencing them.” A Travel Chat with German Expats.
- “To travel is to see new things…sort of like eye candy.” A Travel Chat with an Illustrator
- “The Killer whales (Orcas) fascinate the heck out of me.” A Travel Chat with a Fifth Generation Alaskan.
Here’s a recap of 25 Travel Chats, covering a wide range of travel destinations and travel styles, from exploring National Parks to going local in Hawaii, to insights from expats who lived abroad.
We accept Guest Posts from travelers with discoveries to share. These are some of the most popular ones:
- Four Secrets to Dressing Like a Local When in Europe
- Exploring Auckland and New Zealand’s Northland
- 5 Must-See Places in Iowa
- 5 Unexpected Treasures of Northwest Arkansas
- Canyon Ranch Spa Experience, Tucson, Arizona
If you want to write a guest post for this blog, please read the details for submitting guests posts in Are You A Traveler? An Invitation To Share Your Discoveries on This Blog.
Six years and going strong.
We started this blog in May, 2007 when we quit our jobs and traveled in Europe for five months, mostly by cruise ship. While many folks have the kind of summer adventure in their 20s, we did it in our mid-forties. We think travel changes one’s life for the better, and that most anyone, regardless of age or income can find a way to explore the world. Learn more about our passion for travel in A Girl, A Guy and Their Travel Love Story.