The Final Resting Place of 17,201 American Military in Metro Manila
The cemetery with the largest number graves of U.S. personnel who lost their lives during World War II is located in the Philippines.
The Manila American Cemetery and Memorial is located on 152 acres in a prominent plateau in metro Manila.
17,201 headstones are arranged in circular patterns. Most of those buried here lost their lives in New Guinea, during the 1941-1942 Battle of the Philippines or during the recapture of the islands by the Allies.
The American Battle Monuments Commission maintains the memorial.
See all of this photos for this week’s Photo Friday Challenge: ‘At Rest’ here.
You also may be interested in these Friday Photo posts”;
- Photo Friday: The Andes From My Window
- Photo Friday: the Countryside View from Amtrak’s California Zephyr
- Photo Friday: The Human Form at Vigeland
- Photo Friday: Stepping out on the Ledge
- Photo Friday: Terminal 2E, Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris