Photo by Excel23
Along the east coast of Florida is a city called St. Augustine, full of sights, sounds and a vast array of history. Here are 14 Fun Facts about St. Augustine.
1. St. Augustine was the first city in America. Therefore making it the oldest city in the United States, founded by the Spanish in 1565.
4. St. Augustine has its own marvelous white and black striped lighthouse with the St. Augustine Lighthouse.
5. Each year at Christmastime, St. Augustine hosts a Night of Lights making it one of the best holiday light displays in the country with almost 2 million lights.
6. St. Augustine has its own Ripley’s Believe It or Not Museum with oddities, useless facts and interesting sights.
Fort Mantanzas. Photo by Intergalacticz9
8. St. Augustine has three forts that guard it. Castillo de San Marcos, Fort Mantanzas, and Fort Mose were all built to protect the city. The Castillo de San Marcos is the oldest masonry fort in the continental United States.
9. The World Golf Hall of Fame calls St. Augustine home.
10. St. Augustine can boast that it has the narrowest street in the U.S. Treasury Street is only 7 feet wide!
12. Marineland, a dolphin encounter exhibit, has been in existence for 75 years allowing visitors to swim, feed, and interact with dolphins along the beaches of St. Augustine.
Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse. Photo by User:Shreeg88
14. The oldest wooden schoolhouse is located in St. Augustine built in 1716.
This is a guest post by Morgan Large, a graduate student at the University of Arkansas.
Morgan loves to explore the world. She’s traveled across the United States and to 11 countries. St. Augustine is one of Morgan’s favorite places to visit.
Originally from Ohio, Morgan currently lives in Arkansas with her Australian Shepherd, Oxley.
At the University of Arkansas, Morgan’s studies are focused in agricultural communications. Her blog, RazorBuck: A Midwestern girl living in a Southern world highlights her adventures in photography, cooking and travel.
If you enjoy geography-related trivia, check out these Fun Facts posts:
- 14 Fun Facts to Know About Rotorua, New Zealand
- 12 Fun Facts You May Not Know About the Great Wall of China
- 15 Fun Facts about Cornwall, England
- 26 Fun Facts to Know About Hawaii
- Visiting Alaska? 22 Fun Facts You Might Want to Know