This is a guest post by Danielle Smith, an agricultural communications student at the University of Arkansas.
No one wants to show up in another country looking like a tourist. We have all seen them: tee shirt, jeans, big camera wrapped around their neck, and a huge backpack. I’ll admit that I’m guilty of it too, but “when in Rome do as the Romans.” So with that in mind, here are four must have items that will help you look sharp and dress like a local while traveling in Europe.
1. A Scarf such as “Olive N Figs” Solid Plain Pashmina Stole/Scarf/Wrap (I like the red one, but having several colors is a good idea.)
It is nearly impossible to travel through the cities of Europe and not see men and women accessorizing their outfit with a scarf. Not only are they cute, but also they make the perfect addition to any outfit and can help you pack light – simply add a new scarf to the same outfit.
2. A Comfortable Pair of Flats like these Madden Girl Women’s Harmonee Ballet Flat (Cognac is my preferred color to go with anything.)
Yes tennis shoes our comfortable, but the right pair of flats can be too! Wearing a pair of flats dresses up any outfit without having to wear uncomfortable dress shoes. Spend the day walking and site seeing and then head into a fancy restaurant without feeling underdressed.
3. A cardigan is another great outfit accessory that can help you pack light and look sharp. Buy a neutral color and pair it with any undershirt. Cardigans are comfortable and classy and can easily be paired with accessories.Dark wash skinny jeans
4. Skinny jeans are a must have in Europe right now. Pair them with your flats and you will definitely be looking like a local. Go with a dark wash to in order to look more dressed up and classy.
Remember, buy scarves and cardigans that can easily be coordinated with many outfits; this way you can mix and match and pack lighter!
What European fashions have you seen that you liked or disliked?
Danielle Smith spent part of last summer traveling in Europe, exploring Belgium, England and France.
A native of Stilwell, Kansas, Danielle plans to return to the Kansas City area upon graduation.
Learn more about Danielle here.
Other posts on Europe that you might want to check out:
- Destination Discovery: The World’s Oldest Grape Vine in Maribor, Slovenia
- Destination Discovery: The “Blue Eye” and Sarandë (Saranda), Albania
- Destination Discovery: Alupka Palace, near Yalta, Ukraine
- Destination Discovery: Oslo, Norway
- Destination Discovery: The Swarovski Crystal Worlds, Wattens, Austria
November is our Thank a Reader Month!
Win prizes all month long, starting with a $50 Gift Certificate for Southwest Airlines. Enter today! Giveaway closes on 11/11/12 and is open to residents of the United States only and is sponsored by TravelingWithTheJones.