It’ Friday and we are celebrating a terrific week of travel highlights , inspired by Lauren’s High Five for Friday. From Denver to San Francisco we traveled by train, plane and ferry during this holiday week, enjoying good food, delicious wine and fun friends.
Our Top Five Weekly Travel Highlights:
1. Experiencing the culinary delights of Denver’s South Pearl neighborhood. Our friends Mark and Tammi toured us through their neighborhood food and wine emporiums: Whole Foods for fruit, cheese, pate and bread; Salumeria Cinque Soldi for paper-thin-sliced Parma prosciutto; and wine shopping with knowledgeable sommeliers at Divino. All made for a delightful backyard feast at Chez Dorsey.
2. Riding Amtrak between Denver, Colorado and Emeryville, California. The 33-hour train ride whizzed by, aided by spectacular scenery, friendly onboard service and a relatively comfortable sleeping compartment. The train offered a unique view of diverse American landscapes through the Continental Divide and the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
3. Eating Meat Pie at Henry Hunan’s in San Francisco – with its deliciously crunchy outside layers sandwiching spicy meat and crisp lettuce. Whenever we are in San Francisco, we make a beeline the Hunan’s at 924 Sansome Street, where we also love the shrimp chow mien and “VJ’s Special” chicken and cabbage with black bean sauce.
4. Sailing on the San Francisco Bay on the Golden Gate Ferry from the SF Ferry Building to Sausalito. The Ferry Building Marketplace is packed with hundreds of delights such as the Book Passage bookstore, the Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant to Boccalone the meat shop promoting “salty pig parts.”
5. Discovering wine with a cute animal label wine that actually tastes good. At San Francisco’s Pour House Wine Bar at 1327 Polk St we discovered tasty Haraszthy Zinfandel wine with a memorable bear label.
What was your best travel discovery this week? We want to hear about it, so please share in comments.